Tuesday 13 March 2012

Costume changes!

I love these shots by Mike Croshaw, taken recently at a studio day (its first!) at Cheltenham FilmPhoto Studios. Considering we only had a two hour slot together, and quite a bit of the beginning was taken up with me having to be laced into my wedding dress (I doubt any bride ever had to dress herself...), I think it's impressive how much we got done. Here are a few from our session together. Very much looking forward to working with Mike again sometime. And for anyone interested in trying out the studio, I'd recommend it and can get you a good deal!

I've not really done 'pin-up' before, but Mike wanted to give the theme a try with me and I really enjoyed playing the part of a 50s cheeky-grinned starlet. I'd love to give pin up a real go, actually - I think it could possibly suit me quite well. Thanks Mike for choosing something fun and new to shoot with me!

This next shot has featured here before, but in the interests of comprehensiveness (of themes covered)... Gorgeous lighting and soft pastel hues:

I happened to have brought my brand new Asian bridal saree along with me to the shoot, in hopes of shoe-horning it into a session... I think it's so stunning - I really really love 'World' costumery and I love India in particular so much. I spent some time there a few years ago (mainly in the north) and have been aching to go back ever since. Every year I tell myself it will be THIS year. I think it's such a beautiful country, and I love how brightly coloured the women's clothing is, as well; fanciful decoration and ornate, intricate beading is everywhere, and there is no such thing as too much adornment. It's impossible to take a bad street shot there! Mike and I think a plainer background would probably have worked better for this shot (or I would love to shoot with it in a grand house, with the full works!), but for the garment's first airing I do love this.

Below is a composite image in a classical 'Old Masters' style, which is a theme more traditionally suited to my strengths...


And finally we spent some time doing some movement and 'swirly' images. I love the golden curves of the fabric here, and its flaring wisp to my left in the composition (camera right?).
...Let me know which you like! :-)