Tuesday 18 December 2012

Thinkin' About Your Body

Although modelling is my 'full time income', as I usually put it, writing is my long-term dream, and my time is split into two professions, realistically (though the two work very well together). I always write on the days I'm not modelling. This morning, instead of banging out 1000 words of my current work in progress (which is actually going quite well at the moment!), I spent an hour accidentally banging out a poem instead. I have told myself that this can justify the static word count of my novel, since I haven't let myself do this in a very long time.

Probably needs some changes and polishing (some stanzas in particular definitely need some whipping), but I'm quite pleased with it as a first draft:


Mapping Renewal

2-3 weeks for the lungs.
About a year for the alveoli to regenerate.
Nothing on the surface; forever, deeper.

24 hours for the cornea. Which explains
why I can see you so clearly now.
20 years for the heart. Perhaps four times

in a lifetime. Three if repairs are slow. Scars
can't muscle. Intestines; 2 or 3 days. Fighting to rid;
stomach acid sears through. Gargle, spit:

taste buds; every ten days. I am not
so enthused by your wanderlust now.
6-8 weeks for an eyelash. Mine

are doe like, defined by black; don't bat for you.
3-6 years for hair and your indecision.
I bleached mine; I am getting it cut.

The skeleton takes ten years. Osteoclasts.
Osteoblasts. Break down. Build up. I am cast
as beauty. My closet is empty.

Fingernails twice as fast as toenails.
Keratin, circulation, tissue supply.
New skin every two weeks.

Less elastic. Still waterproof.
We won't touch again. The liver, flushing
away cruel toxins; just five months a round.


The brain ages alone, coughing notes in the dark
through dreams and organs; imagines its own future:
conjures decision; the belief that it can thrive.

*********************************************************************************

And because I thought Mosa (of OnePixArt) might appreciate this kind of thing, here are some images he took of me in LA. I have admired his artwork for a long time, and it was certainly interesting to be let in on his philosophies about women. I think the third is my favourite.







*********************************************************************************

And finally, a song about bodies I've been enjoying by Bobby McFerrin... Love this guy. I've finally joined the modern age and have all my music on my phone. Well, not all; do you have any idea how much music I own? It's quite shocking. But anyway, along with some questionable beauties (the most questionable being Take That's debut album, teach-yourself-spanish, and the Sister Act soundtrack - all choices I personally stand by, however) I treated my studio day attendees on Saturday to such gems as:



Off now for a round two of responding to emails before meeting up with new friends tonight. Excited to see lots of my 'old' friends in the next week or so too. You gotta love that about Christmas; everyone gathers. :-)