Sunday 28 April 2013

Sharps, Flats, Shapes & Curves

Another quick update, hot off the press after a weekend off which has revolved around a family dinner, seeing friends, lunch dates, a vintage fair, walkies and the management of french pronouns (le/la/les before lui/leur, but vous/me/nous before le/la/les. FYI) with my buddy Michel Thomas and his slightly irritating female student who delivers every phrase in a breathy monotone, I just wanted to show a collection of shots taken recently at mine and Ivory Flame's 'duo' day at Eye For An Image Studio in Banbury. The theme was 'Shapes and Curves'. Between us, we've definitely got some shapes and curves; and it's nice to hang out with my good friend Holly in front of the lens.

Four photographers attended, one after the other, and I'll post some of my personal favourites from those I've been shown.

Hit this (Satie's Gnossienne 1) for an instant soundtrack as you scroll down; you'll probably recognise it from various films, including the gorgeous Chocolat (which is fitting, as I've just finished my Easter chocolate): 


(I've requested a bit of light relief on the side while I finish learning Liebestraum, the ultimate romantic masterpiece, due to my utter inability to sight-read after a ten year gap making it a bit of a sudoku-style brain training practice not to mention the necessitation of finger strength excercises that make my wrists want to die, a bit; it is getting there though and sounding better and better each day, but Satie is always so evocative and beautiful, and pleasingly simple to pick up on the first run-through, thank God. So now I have the ultimate procrastination piece to linger over when my frustration at the same chord appearing twice in the same bar but with every single note accented differently starts to bubble... C FLAT IS NOT A NOTE. NOR IS E SHARP. Let's call it B and F, shall we? AARRRRGGGHHHH. F DOUBLE SHARP, SURELY, IS SIMPLY G. I'd been away from the game so long that these 'amusing', 'helpful' quirks have had to be relearned until they can be calmly ignored/memorised, which brings me to...)

By James ('CalmNudes'):











By Mark Bigelow (who is now doing lighting workshops on his improvisational way of working; it's a lot of fun to prance in his playboxes of shadows!):













By Prashant Meswani:











And by Eddie Ray (including a single exposure during which two become three):



Thanks photographers! :-)