Wednesday 3 July 2013

Locks and Leaves

As practically everyone who's ever met me will know, I am not at my best when packing for trips away. Obviously, I'm very excited about the trips that I get to do, and packing now takes me a lot less time than the 2-3 days it used to take me when I was younger (yes, seriously, I would spend days upon days arranging about 5000 outfits on the floor and pondering the possibilities for a one-week trip to Majorca, or Tenerife, or wherever it was we were going as a family). I'm quite good at understanding the idea that outfits can be worn more than once on a trip, now, thank God; not to mention that I don't need to allow for five or so 'options' per day. 

Still, a few of the more mundane things I did today instead of packing: 

- hoovering (though to an extent I actually don't mind hoovering)
- ironing (I hate ironing with a passion - almost as much as I hate packing, except that it makes me angrier, so this didn't help me much in any way other than ensuring I don't turn up looking like a wreck but instead have vaguely neat clothes - which will for the most part not be worn anyway because nudes look rubbish with dresses on)
- napping (only very briefly, but it felt right...)
- answering emails (very productive, eh?) 

In the end, packing has taken me very little time (though, admittedly, I have paused mid-pack, for tradition's sake) since I am now fairly close to nailing the skills of a good friend of mine in Vancouver who I once watched spend roughly three minutes breezily picking up a few choice items from her room and depositing them into a tiny bag for a trip we did to Seattle/San Francisco (while I looked on in absolute awe), but really, it's times like these I wish I was more of a minimalist, or just less of a 'Oooh, I might want to use this thing I never ever use and definitely won't need but might not be able to buy out there' person! 

So, now that I've got the 'middle class problem' of 'Oh, damn I have to pack for Iceland' out the way, I might as well mention something else I caught myself saying out loud a couple of weeks ago. I was trying to show a friend some countries on a map (don't ask; the friend shall remain anonymous) but failed to reach the globe easily enough to swizzle it around, so I then tried to show her on another globe in a different room but failed to locate the plug to switch the globe's light on, since the corner of the room it was in is quite dark... (I'm realising as I type this that I'm struggling with telling this story and am going to just give up and get straight to the 'punch line' (see no.5 of 'Very British Problems' here): basically I ended up blurting out in frustration, 'Urgh, all my globes are so awkwardly placed!'. I think that would qualify for being on that 'middle class problems' buzzfeed, maybe. I embarrass myself so much with the utter drivel that comes out of my mouth sometimes. 

ANYWAY, that was all a completely unnecessary (and probably really boring - sorry!) detour from the fact that I am updating my blog (not packing) quickly before I go away on this next trip, to tide over anyone who likes looking at it. The following images were taken by Steven Bruce, whose photography I love (and who also did these with me), in a Californian garden where I modelled alongside Meghan, who has also featured on this blog a few times before, because she is, to use an Americanism, awesome.