Thursday 17 May 2012

Fairy Paintings

I was booked recently at Paul's Studio by an artist wishing to begin a project he'd had in his mind for a while. Philip Malpass will be painting 4-6 large canvasses by sometime next year, from which prints will be made available through a new site devoted to fairy art. Meanwhile he is making a series of minipanels which will eventually be sold via small galleries. I feel very lucky and happy to have been chosen for this project, and think the two panels below (digital files won't do them justice, I'm told and can well believe, but nevermind) are absolutely stunning! So magical!

Although Philip has been painting all his life, he has had a six year break until recently, so this project is hugely exciting for him and a creative release! We had a lot of fun in the studio, with me interpreting 'fairyness' by way of flitting and jumping, perching and skitting about as though flying and journeying between flowers and trees... :-) (I love how my job allows me to indulge myself in utter, utter girliness sometimes.)

As they are completed I hope to be able to show more. Phil tells me that painting with oils on such tiny canvasses (5" by 5") is a real challenge, but I think they must look so wonderful and special!

Here's a file to give an idea of two of the minipanels created so far. I can't wait to see and show more as they are painted! (You can click the image to make it slightly bigger, but remember, the intention is that it's a small work of art!)


How beautiful!!