Sunday 20 January 2013

Maya, and Stupidity

As everyone probably knows, via the deluge of related facebook updates online if not by simply looking out the window, it's snowy here in the UK. I ended up having to cancel my weekend plans to visit Cambridge and lost out on quite a bit of earnings PLUS a cancelled hotel booking (and subsequently had to cancel my Plan B of having a girly lunch here in Oxford due to a second round of snowfall this morning). BUT, I have already managed to rearrange my Cambridge trip to 9th/10th March, and managed to bag myself a photoshoot outside in the snow while I was at it, courtesy of a photographer with a landrover! Hopefully more on that in a future post, but suffice it to say, we had fun out there in the winter wonderland near my house!

Today has involved such things as German lessons with the Vati, piano practise and other such Edwardian-style pursuits, plus a dash of catching up on Take Me Out, which I think is more of a comedy than a dating show, but brilliant nevertheless. (When asked to describe herself in astronomical terms, it emerged that one girl didn't know what a constellation was.... AND THEN HE PICKED HER! Excellent. As a person who is academically quite intelligent but life-wise extremely 'ditzy' (not to mention impractical) myself, I can relate to her brain collapse, if I squint a lot, and will refrain from making the observation that there definitely exists a certain type of men who seem to pick stupid women simply to make themselves feel more clever. Fair play to them.)

Taking out my bitch teeth (arguably), I have been revisiting my (younger) youth recently via a stint of teenage-self albums, via the humble minidisc (which I am prone to defending on any invitation, so I won't let myself start on about how ridiculous it is that they didn't catch on, when CDs scratch so easily and fall over and die after three plays, whereas minidiscs keep their chip protected by tough plastic and last pretty much forever, or about how I worked for £3 p/hr at a bakery, aged 15, to buy my flashing-light CD/minidisc player which I still use and love). The problem is, I don't have all my favourite albums from my (younger) youth* on actual CD and therefore digitally/on my phone/iPod if I ever buy one, which is a sad state of affairs. (I buy CDs most weeks now, and have done for years, but am ashamed to say that a lot of my early music collection came from ignorance/indifference regarding the illegal download phenomenon). Nevertheless, on my £3 p/hr CD/minidisc player, I've just been playing Destiny's Child for half an hour and am now girl power in human form. 

OK, I'll shut up now and show a recent favourite photo, taken by an Australian friend/model/photographer, Jayne Hartt, while cooling off between other shoots. I love it! :-)


*Destiny's Child, Nelly Furtado, Usher, Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera, The Sugababes... etc.... 

Funny story about The Sugababes actually... Due to my past illegal downloading/'sharing' of music (which I emphasise I truly am ashamed of and would NEVER do now) I have one Sugababes album, 'Three', which ends with the song 'Maya'. This is an absolutely stunning, beautiful, soul-warming track which I used to re-wind and play over and over again. It's sung by Heidi and, being the very last track, marks a change in direction for the group from RnB to something more timeless and universal... Or so I thought... It turns out (and I discovered this only yesterday!!!) that the 'Maya' I was listening to at the end of the Sugababes album was not in fact sung by the Sugababes (I now wonder why I so firmly believed it was a solo by Heidi - I think I thought I'd read it somewhere! I even remember thinking that she must have trained with some eastern/Asian singing tutors especially!) but in fact by Susheela Raman, a completely different singer of southern Indian (Tamil)/UK descent. When downloading the individual tracks by the Sugababes, I obviously mistook 'Maya' by the Sugababes (which is apparently a song dedicated to Mutya Buena's younger sister, who sadly passed away), for a southern indian love song. True story. And to do Susheela Raman's 'Maya' credit (it really is a stunning, captivating song; Heidi truly outdid herself...) here's the song, below, and I'll order the (physical) album on which the original (imposter) 'Maya' appears, Salt Rain -  because it's nice to know that this song isn't just a one off on the part of the Sugababes, and that there is more of this beautiful voice to listen to!