Friday 25 January 2013

Snow Deer & Winter's Wonderland

I was going to blog some shots of me taken in a desert next, but from one extreme to the other, I've decided instead to show some images from a much colder shoot, taken recently here in Oxfordshire. Snow galore!

I recently had to cancel my trip to Cambridge due to the snow, which was so disappointing and meant I missed out on a good wedge of work I'd carefully planned, not to mention letting down the photographers who'd been planning things with me, but what can you do... Luckily everyone was very understanding and thought it was a sensible decision (simple fact was that there would be a 99% chance I wouldn't be able to get out of my road; can't really argue with that, can you?!).

It's all very well these gung-ho 'I'm gonna make it however much snow there is! I laugh in the face of nature - nothing will stop me!' attitudes from models and photographers on forums keen to show off their 'dedication', but with one very local fatality on the roads, the day I would have been driving - a girl in my year at school whose car went off the road due to the snowy conditions (I didn't know her personally as it was a large school, but it's such a sad story), I'm glad I made the decision to stay safe, and have luckily already managed to rearrange my trip to Cambridge for the next available weekend, 9th/10th March. It's just one of those things that comes with the territory of living relatively out in the sticks rather than in a city, where things are probably gritted more consistently.

That said, a lovely, local-ish photographer I've worked with lots of times, Karen Jones (or purpleport profile here), came to my rescue at the last minute in her landrover, after I posted my last minute availability on my facebook page, driving to pick me up and shooting with me in the massive woodland that is five minutes from my house. (Those 'sticks' I was talking about? They have their perks!!)

We had fun trying out a few different scenes - open fields, close trees and a few things in between - going for a bit of a fashion-y/princess theme with long dresses, bodices and skirts.










(I think I need a deer to the left of the frame in the above shot, which reminds me: we saw one during the very first 'blue' set! I'm gonna steal Karen's facebook snapshot of it to post at the end...)




Here's the deer. What a cutie, poking its head up to see what was happening. It was quite far away but Karen had her camera around her neck and grabbed a quick snapshot before it sprung away out of sight.


And then, because I'm such a child, Karen let me pretend to throw snowballs at her at the end... ;-)



 Dun dun derrrrrr...!